The R. A. Shuey Creamery was a dairy company at 5960 Telegraph Avenue from 1910–1953. They also had a large plant at 5307 Telegraph. The business was incorporated in 1910 in Oakland by brothers Robert A. Shuey, Charles Shuey, William A. Shuey, and L. E. Phillips. 1 It was purchased by Foremost Dairies in 1952.
The 1911 directory lists it at 2410 Stuart Street in Berkeley, Robert A. Shuey president, Charles Shuey treasurer. In 1911, there was also a Shuey Poultry Company in Berkeley, run by William A. Shuey.
The Central-Shuey Creamery was incorporated in 1920, by combining the R. A. Shuey Creamery, the Central Creamery and the Oakland Cream Depot. In 1926 their main processing plant was at 5307 Telegraph.
It was acquired by Golden State Milk Products in 1928. 9
Foremost Dairies acquired R. A. Shuey Creamery (which was a Nevada corporation) whose main office was located in Oakland, California in December, 1952. Net sales for R. A. Shuey Creamery in Oakland during 1952 amounted to $1,084,000. 2
Diamond Dairy was acquired by Foremost Dairies in February 1952, and then was merged with R. A. Shuey Creamery into Shuey-Diamond Dairy, Inc. 5 after that dairy was also acquired by Foremost Dairies in December 1952.
Foremost had 3.9% of fluid milk sales in the Alameda-Contra Costa region in 1953 through its operations of the Diamond Dairy and Shuey Creamery facilities.
In September, 1952 R. A. Shuey showed wage rate gains of $13.50 per month. 3
Many members of the Shuey family8 are buried in Mountain View Cemetery, including the Shuey brother's parents, Homer Stowe Shuey and Genevra A. Daugherty Shuey, Homer's father, John Shuey, and John's father, General Martin Shuey.
Research Note: The Online Archive of California (OAC) lists in their California Business Ephemera Collection an item(s) from R. A. Shuey Creamery (Oakland) dated 1947.
Links and References
- R. A. Shuey Creamery - photo of token
- California Directory of Nurserymen and Others Licensed to Sell Nursery Stock 1921
- Manufactured Milk Products Journal Volume 1
- Federal Trade Commission Decisions Complaint in the Matter of Foremost Dairies, Inc.
The Office Worker (Official Organ of the Office Employes International Union of the A. F. of L.)
Washington, D.C., September, 1952
- Central-Shuey Creamery Wins Scoring Contest Oakland Tribune April 5, 1925
- 2 Dairies United in Oakland Deal Oakland Tribune January 23, 1953
- R. A. Shuey vintage sign (photo from Taiwanese online auction)
- 1923 directory
- Pedigree Resource File - Ludwig-Shelly File Update 2 -
- Central Shuey To Merge With Golden State Oakland Post Enquirer March 3, 1928
- Growth of Central-Shuey Corp. Is Business Romance Oakland Tribune August 25, 1929