The de Fremery House is a Gothic Revival or Gothic/Italianate house known as "The Grove" which was the home of James de Fremery and his family for a number of years. Originally the property was a part of the Rancho San Antonio land grant. Built in 1863-1864 for James DeFremery (spelled 'DeFremery' by the Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board), there was no findings by the Board as to who the original architect was on the home.
James de Fremery lived in the home and continuously landscaped the estate up to his death in 1899. Family members lived in the until the property was sold to the City of Oakland in 1910. (The Landmarks Preservation Advisory Board list the house as being purchased by the City of Oakland in 1907). The house was acquired by the city through passage of a bond measure approved by voters.
During WWII a single story "social hall" and "Connector" was constructed at the rear (west side) of the house by the USO in 1944 when the house served as a social club.
The house is now used at the de Fremery Recreation Center.
On November 17, 1981 the de Fremery House was designated Oakland Landmark #56, under Zoning Case #LM 81-230.
1651 Adeline Street, Oakland, California
- De Fremery Family - Financial Leaders; Home Now A Park Lives of the Dead by Michael Colbruno