The Borland Building was a commercial building on the southeast corner of Broadway and 12th. It's unknown when the building was constructed, but a 1907 article refers to "Archie Borland's Central Block" which goes back to at least 1873. The building was remodeled in 1938 as part of a wider modernization plan downtown. 2
(There was also a Central Block east of Lake Merritt built 1880-1881.)
Although there are some notable differences from the building shown in earlier Sanborn maps, it seems like the 1938 building and the earlier Central Block building are the same. The bay windows have been replaced with larger flat windows and the railing and dome on the roof have been removed.
Links and References
- ohrphoto.dpoa10.051 Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
- Borland Building, 12th and Broadway, To Be Modernized Oakland Tribune May 19, 1938
- Dr. Painless Parker's Remodeled Modern Dental Offices Ready Oakland Tribune February 3, 1939
- M0326_b08_f04_003 William Gardiner transportation collection, Stanford Libraries