excerpt of 1925 photo
courtesy Tim Sanchez

The Albert S. Samuels Company was a jewelry store at 1520 Broadway in the Roos Brothers Building from 1923. In 1938 they moved to 17th and Broadway, and were still in business in Oakland in 1963. 5

Samuels opened an Oakland store in November 1923 to great fanfare. 1,2 He had an existing store in San Francisco founded c.1908; it was known as “The House of Lucky Wedding Rings” because approximately 1/3 of all wedding rings sold in San Francisco were from Samuels. 3

Less than 6 years later in 1929, they announced the Oakland store was going to close, and H. Morton Company would move into the space. 4 But they were still there in 1934, and in 1938 they moved to 17th and Broadway. 5,6



1923 11923 21924

  • J.F. Haight, sales and advertising manager
  • Harry Van Allen, supervisor of construction and head display man
  • Harry Sloss, merchandise manager
  • R.S. Morris, secretary and credit manager
  • B.J. Joseph, architect
  • J.A.L. Turner, manager 2
  • George Lenfestey
  • Hazel Priestly
  • William Haubrich
  • Albert Smith
  • Walter Travis
  • Ernest George
  • A.W. Manderson
  • J.H. Griggs

Links and References

  1. New Jewelry Establishment Opens Tomorrow Oakland Tribune November 9, 1923
  2. Manager Has Fine Record as Jeweler, Soldier Oakland Tribune November 9, 1923
  3. 'Lucky Wedding Ring' Store to Try Big Branch Oakland Tribune April 29, 1923
  4. closing sale ad Oakland Tribune August 20, 1929
  5. A.S. Samuels Chairman of Jewelry Firm Oakland Tribune December 4, 1963
  6. Samuels Jewelers Opens New Two-Story Oakland Store Oakland Tribune March 20, 1958
  7. New Samuels Store, Designed By Window Dresser, Opens Oakland Tribune July 1, 1938