The Winsor Hotel (aka Winsor House) was a residential hotel and/or boarding house for both men and women in the 1870s to 1890s. A broad cross section of individuals stayed there, from a traveling salesman, a bookkeeper, a clerk, a telegraph operator, an attorney and a capitalist. The building now houses Ratto's and other businesses on the ground floor.
In the 1912 renumbering, the address was changed from the 900 block of Washington to 823 Washington.
c.1880 to 1885, it was run by C.C. Wheeler. c.1884 to 1885, he also leased and ran Kelsey House at Telegraph and 24th. 3
In 1887 F. A. Wilder was the proprietor of Winsor House.
The 1912 Sanborn shows it as Hotel Rex, and it appears in some listings as Rex Hotel. The name seems to have changed in 1911 after a remodel.
The building was constructed in 1876 as the Gooch Block by A.J. Gooch. J.S. Tibbals was the architect and builder.
Links and References
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- ohrphoto.dpoa7.014.jpg Oakland History Center, Oakland Public Library
- The Kelsey House Oakland Tribune January 20, 1885
- ad Oakland Tribune May 5, 1877
- Two Firemen Escape Injury in Hotel Blaze Oakland Tribune September 15, 1957
- 30 Routed as Fire Damages Rex Hotel Oakland Tribune April 15, 1974