William Edward Schirmer (1891 - 1957) was one of Oakland’s leading and most prolific architects. Schirmer, in partnership with Arthur Bubgee, of Schirmer & Bugbee, designed the Newberry Building in 1923. He also designed many local homes, parochial schools and churches. He was one of a group of architects who designed the Alameda County Courthouse.
The houses designed by Schirmer include the former home of Henry J. Kaiser on Haddon Hill, and the Mediterranean villa of Harvey and Maud Sorenson on part of the historic Roselawn estate near the Rockridge BART station.
Pages tagged “William E. Schirmer”
Links and References
- Oakland House Sold Magnificent Mediterranean villa
- "Serious Craftmanship," San Francisco Chronicle, August 2, 2008