California Pioneer, Aged 71 Succumbs
William E. Blote, California pioneer, who had made his home here since 1863, died at St. Anthony's hospital last night. He was the father of Deputy City Tax Collector Edward R. Blote, Frank W. Blote, local business man, and Harold C. Blote. He was the brother of Martin C. Blote, who is connected with the East Bay Water company, of Henry Blote and F. B.. Blote.
Blote was 71 years of age and a member of the Oakland Pioneers. He came to California 63 years ago.
Funeral services will he held Saturday at 10 a. m. at an undertaking establishment at 588 Jefferson street. Rev. Clarence Reed of the First Unitarian church will officiate. Friends of the family are invited to the services.
Stories from Billie, often begun with "Say, boys...":
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 8/29/1920 Agricultural Pavilion
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 9/5/1920 City water supply, circuses,
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 9/26/1920 Games and pranks
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 10/24/1920 House-mover, pranks, pond, water trucks
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 12/12/1920 Old Man Hogan, Henry Vrooman, Hutchinson's Nursery
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 4/10/1921 "Uncle" Fred Olney, hunting small game, more pranks
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 12/26/1920 Holidays, weather, Billy Fireball
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 1/16/1921 WILD GAME IN EARLY DAYS.
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 5/22/1921 AROUND TOWN WITH THE BOYS IN EARLY DAYS (NO. 4.)
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 6/5/1921 MELONS, SALLY HART AND THE FAKIRS (Contributed by Oakland Pioneers - No. 42) Unattributed, but that is Billy Blote's style, so I'm attributing it to him.
- Ye Olden Oakland Days - 10/23/1921 CHINATOWN IN EARLY DAYS By William E. ("Billie") Blote (Contributed by Oakland Pioneers, No. 57)