The West Oakland Youth Center is a recently renovated youth center in Hoover/Foster (located at Brockhurst and Market St.) that remained closed for a long time.
The center will have a grand opening on October 16, 2015.
According to a Jan. 3, 2014, article in the Contra Costa Times, "last year, the City Council budgeted funds to get the center up and running. The only question had been who would operate it, but under an agreement that will go before the City Council this month, the city would turn it over to the Alameda County Department of Parks and Recreation."
Even though the WOYC was closed, it was one of the sites of Friday Nights Live in summer 2013.
The murals on the front are a collaboration between True Colors Mural Project (BCC), Trust Your Struggle Collective (Cece Carpio, Rob Trujillo, Erin Yoshi and Miguel “Bounce” Perez) and Juana Alicia and were painted in 2014.
News & External Links
- info memo from the city administrator dated 5/31/13 which gives some history.
- Flickr photo set of construction groundbreaking at the site.
- $7.6 Million Oakland Youth Center May Not Open Due To Budget CBS 5 KPIX
- West Oakland Youth Center almost completed, but may remain closed due to budget issues Oakland Local
- 2013-06-03: "Police budget jeopardizes West Oakland Youth Center" Stop the Injunctions in Oakland
- 2013-07-26: "West Oakland Rocks ‘Friday Night Live’, Despite Youth Center Hold Up" Post News Group
- 2013-11-22: "Oakland Youth Center Sits Empty After $8 Million Renovation." CBS 5 KPIX
- 2014-01-03: "West Oakland Youth Center could open this year" Contra Costa Times