The Welsh Presbyterian Church was formed in 1889. 1 They held services in Welsh on Sunday morning, and in English in the evening. The church existed until at least 1952. 2

The congregation had been meeting for a time before officially organizing into a Presbyterian church. In 1889, they moved into their newly constructed building on Harrison between 13th and 14th, across from where the Hotel Oakland would eventually be built. By 1919, the church had moved to the southeast corner of 18th and Castro.

1930 ad

Pastor Years
Moses Williams 1889 * to +1903
Owen Jones 1892 6 to +1894
Josiah Daniels 1906 3 to +1916
O. R. Williams -1918 to 1928 7
Robert O. Williams -1930 to +1944

Rev. Moses Williams preached in Welsh at the first services. 5 It's not yet clear if he became the first permanent pastor.

Links and References

December 31, 1927 8

  1. A New Church Society to Be Organized Tomorrow Oakland Tribune March 30, 1889
  2. Special Events Scheduled By Churches for This Week Oakland Tribune May 18, 1952
  3. Rev. Josiah Daniels of Pennsylvania to Be Pastor of Welsh Presbyterian Oakland Tribune December 16, 1906
  4. Sarah Williams obituary Oakland Tribune January 12, 1892
  5. The Welsh Presbyterians Oakland Tribune August 20, 1889
  6. Installation Services Oakland Tribune October 5, 1892
  7. Farewell to Rev. O. Williams Oakland Tribune December 31, 1927
  8. ad Oakland Tribune December 31, 1927