Cleveland Motorcycle Club c.1918
courtesy Kathy Farnon Lujan

Weinstock-Nichols Company was an auto parts supply company in the early 1900s and later a dealer for Cleveland Motorcycles. From c.1906 to 1915, they were on 12th Street near Alice. In 1915, they moved to Broadway near 23rd. 5 They were the home base of the Cleveland Motorcycle Club in Oakland.

The company started c.1906, and distributed Morgan & Wright tires. In 1910, they bought out the (George P.) Moore Motor Supply Co. 1 Col. H. Weinstock was the president. 2 By 1911, they had shops in Oakland, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. 3 Charles R. Avis managed the Oakland shop. 4

In 1916, they began selling Cleveland Motorcycles in addition to auto parts. Neil Cochran managed the new department 6,10 The motorcycle club started about this time, probably in 1917. 7 Sales were good enough that in 1918, the company moved motorcycle sales into its own space next door. 8

The company existed until the mid-1920s. In 1928, the Triangle Parts Store consolidated with Waterhouse-Lester, Scovel Co. which had previously merged with Weinstock-Nichols and the Scovel Iron Store. 9

1917 photo 71918 ad 81919 ad1921 ad1921 ad

Links and References

  1. Weinstock, Nichols Company Buys Out Moore Motor Supply Co. Oakland Tribune September 7, 1910
  2. Weinstock, Nichols Enlarge Territory Oakland Tribune November 6, 1910
  3. ad - Schebler Wins Again Oakland Tribune May 31, 1911
  4. Accessory Firm Enjoys Good Year Oakland Tribune January 17, 1912
  5. Weinstock-Nichols In Upper Broadway Home Oakland Tribune November 7, 1915
  6. ad - Cleveland Motorcycles Oakland Tribune April 8, 1917
  7. Motorbike Riders Social Run Oakland Tribune April 8, 1917
  8. ad - motorcycles next door Oakland Tribune August 18, 1918
  9. George A. Kreplin Company Oakland Tribune August 13, 1933
  10. Cochran is Manager Motorcycle Illustrated December 7, 1916