From 1922

The Vallance Nursery was located at 81 Glen Avenue off of Piedmont Avenue. It was in business at that location from about 1914-1929. The nursery was owned by brothers John and James Vallance. 1

Prior to 1914 the Morse Nursery the nursery department of the C.C. Morse & Company was at the same location. 2 The Vallance Brothers were managing the nursery for C.C. Morse & Company and eventually bought it from them.

In 1929 they moved the nursery closer to Piedmont Avenue and it became the Vallance-Piedmont Nursery at 29 Glen Avenue. 3 John Vallance then applied for a permit to build an apartment building on the original location. 4 John Vallance died in 1940. 5

Cover from 1922 catalog

Here are links to online copies of various catalogs:

Links and References

  1. Pacific Rural Press, Volume 87, Number 26, 27 June 1914

  2. C.C. Morse & Co on Glen Ave Oakland Tribune October 6, 1909

  3. Vallance-Piedmont Nursery ad Oakland Tribune November 10, 1929

  4. Building Permit For Apartment Asked Oakland Tribune March 6, 1930

  5. Last Rites Set For Nurseryman Oakland Tribune February 2, 1940