Union French Bakery was a bakery at 27th and Grove (now MLK) from c.1911 to c.1935.
One of the first mentions in the Oakland Tribune is for the construction of the distinctive building at 661 - 27th St. in 1911 1 In addition to the main bake house, they had a retail space around the corner at 2621 Grove.
In 1913, F. Laclergue purchased the interests of P. Hourcade. A 1931 ad mentions Jean Baptiste Laclergufe, Françoise's husband, and F. Bidou, their son-in-law. 4
The last mention found is from 1935 in an ad for a Food Industry Exposition. 3
By 1937, the Grove St. address was associated with Golden Krust Baking Company, and the main bake house is labeled that on the 1951 Sanborn map.
In 2018, the property was in the news because of accusations of collusion between the building owner and a city inspector to force the current tenants out. 5
Links and References
- Variety of Structures Oakland Tribune October 22, 1911
- ad Oakland Tribune October 16, 1931
- exposition ad Oakland Tribune May 30, 1935
- Jean Baptiste Laclergue obituary Oakland Tribune April 28, 1931
- Oakland finds likely collusion between inspector, property owner in eviction San Francisco Chronicle June 30, 2018