The Tower House was built in 1894-95 by Henry Saxtorph and is located in the Ivy Hill neighborhood of Oakland, California. The historic name of the house is the Saxtorph Home, but it is commonly known as the Tower House, presumably because of the tower at the front corner of the house. At the time of its construction, the home's address was 1461 8th Avenue, and the property extended to the corner of E. 20th Street and 8th Avenue. The home contains a number of stain glass windows.
Mr. Saxtorph died in early January, 1905. Approximately one month before his death, according to the December 22, 1904 Oakland Tribune, Mr. Saxtorph deeded this property to his wife, Ludovika Saxtorph, as a gift. In April 1905, Mrs. Saxtorph deeded the property to Effie G. Waite-Paterson. In November 1906, Effie and her husband E. M. Paterson borrowed $1,000 from the Union Savings Bank, with the loan secured by a deed of trust on the property.
On July 15, 1986 the Tower House was designated Oakland Landmark #LM 86-154 under Ordinance No. 10762 CMS. 10762_CMS.pdf
1937 - 8th Avenue, Oakland, California
Links and References
- 1937 8TH Ave on Redfin.com
- Oakland Queen Anne With Stained Glass Accents Starts Out at $899,000 curbed.com