Not in like a greedy way, but just recognizing the fact that other cities have come up with really cool things that would also be excellent in Oakland.
- SPARKcon - a cool thing in North Carolina that's basically a festival of sharing all kinds of new things happening in different fields (technology, art, etc.)
- OHM - a week-long festival and camp of collaborative making, hacking, and learning from each other.
- Hive Learning Network - The city as learning lab. What if people could go to lots of different places all across the city (museums, libraries, hackerspaces, other peoples' houses) and collaborate, learn, make things, and do things? ====> See Oakland Maker City proposal
- Catalyst Network of Communities - An organization in Long Beach, CA that helps local nonprofits and other community groups collaborate and share resources.
- http://www.simpl.co - events where people come together to solve a particular problem
- http://wearefuturegov.com/2013/10/camden-challenge-creates-four-new-community-projects/ - something like this where it's a guided process of helping people turn ideas into successful projects.
If you want to start on projects like these, create an entry for a project that you want to make real and start using it to recruit people. Put your contact info, meeting dates/times, and start getting people involved.