The Little Daisy was a small, local chain of women's clothing boutiques selling shoes, jewelry, and accessories. It was hip and trendy throughout the 1960s and 70s and was known as one of the officially sanctioned stores where local schoolgirls might buy their uniforms. In the 1980s, the name changed to The Daisy.
The store was founded by Willard A and Gladys "Daisy" A. Talkington. 4 The Talkingtons owned a clothing store in San Francisco before moving their operation to Oakland. According to the Oakland Directory the Lakeshore Little Daisy was open in 1949. 5
In March of 1988, it was reported in the Montclarion that the "The Daisy Store" would close along four other Bay Area stores, including the Lakeshore Store. 1 The Daisy stores were being phased out as the company planned to focus on its new Daisy 9 to 5 stores. 2 The new stores will specialize in clothing for career women and be located near large office centers like the one opened in downtown Oakland in 1987.3
The Lakeshore store would hold weekly fashion shows at Rob Roy's on Lakeshore Avenue every Thursday at noon.
Links and References:
- Little Daisy to close Montclarion Mar 1988.jpg - Montclairion Mach 1988
- The Little Daisy is Remodeled - Daily Independent Journal - August 12, 1975
- Daisy 9 to 5 Opens - SF Examiner Nov 13, 1887
- Willard A Talkington Obit.png- Oakland Tribune June 1975
- 1949 Talkington The Little Daisy.png - Oakland Directory
- The Fourth Store Opens in Lafayette - Oakland Tribune March 14, 1963