The Hive is a building project that occupies the entire block between 23rd & 24th St. on Broadway in the Uptown neighborhood. The over 100,000 sq ft , 3.5-acre project includes retail spaces and a walking promenade that comes in from the street. It was created by Signature Development Group (SDG), a developer also involved with the massive Brooklyn Basin development project near Jack London Square. The project opened in 2015 and has been popular since the start.
SDG has signed leases with the following companies for space in the Hive: the Impact Hub coworking space, NUMI Tea, Calavera Restaurant (run by Chris Pastena who also runs Chop Bar & Lungomare), Drake's Dealership brewery and pub, People's Barber Shop, Firebrand artisan bakery, pop-ups by Humphry Slocombe Ice Cream and Red Bay Coffee, Dosa by Dosa Oakland Indian casual restaurant, Balfour Beatty Construction and several other businesses. There are also a number of residential units along the rear side of the property, on Valley Street, and an automated parking structure by CityLift served by a car elevator.
The Hive is the second phase of SDG’s Broadway Grand project, the first phase of which is the large building on the northwest corner of Broadway and Grand (with the Brown Sugar Kitchen restaurant on the ground floor). Initially, both phases were supposed to be heavily residential, but after completing the mostly-residential Broadway Grand project, SDG shifted to a more mixed-use project with the Hive.
Underneath the single 1960s façade of the building the Hive will occupy are three separate buildings, including some designed by Julia Morgan!
While the buildings facing Broadway were rehabbed, the Valley Auto Garage building designed by architect Clay Burrell (who also designed the nearby McMann Apartments) and located on the corner of 23rd and Valley is scheduled for demolition to make way for the planned residential units.
Links and References
- Official project page on Signature Development Group’s site.
- 2012-11-30: “Signature has Grand plans on Broadway” San Francisco Business Times
- 2013-07: “The Hive is coming to Uptown” Broadway Grand Blog
- 2013-12-03: “Signature Development dreams big in Oakland” San Francisco Business Times
- 2014-02-11: “First tenant buzzes into Signature Development’s the Hive in Oakland.” San Francisco Business Times
- 2014-05-23 New model of development on the rise in downtown Oakland SFGate.com