The land was purchased by Oakland in 1919 to become a new city park. That was later merged with Sequoia Park to become the Joaquin Miller Park of today.
For a time there was a small pond near the Abbey and a seasonal creek. The creek is remembered with a small bridge near the restored Abbey. Note that the original county road followed a slightly different route up the hillside; the Abbey was not as close to the road as it is now to Joaquin Miller Road.