The Curtain Store was a downtown shop run by John Eugene Mauerhan and others, selling curtains, upholstered furniture, and rugs. It was at several locations over the years, but mostly notably at 400-402 - 14th Street at Franklin. It opened for business in 1902. 6

In 1903 it was a partnership with Fred W. Plummer (sec. and manager) and Robert L. Peyton at the 14th and Franklin location. 2 In 1904 it was a partnership with Mauerhan and Peyton. A fire in 1906 damaged the Athenian Club building which housed the store, and did $6,000 in damages to the store and its contents. Mauerhan and Peyton were fully insured. 4

By 1918, the store had moved to 520 - 13th Street. The shop moved to 2028-2030 Broadway in January 1933, and was damaged by a fire in the building in June 1933. 1

The store became Beaver's in 1960s. 5

1904 ad1904 ad1925 ad1926 ad1926 ad1933 ad

Links and References

  1. Fire Fails to Halt Growth Oakland Tribune June 16, 1933
  2. 1903 directory
  3. 1923 directory
  4. Awaken To Find Lives In Peril San Francisco Call April 3, 1906
  5. Here and There with Jean Dare Oakland Tribune February 7, 1960
  6. Curtain Store Just Opened Oakland Tribune February 14, 1902