TJ's Gingerbread House and Tea Garden was a restaurant featuring Cajun and Creole cuisine. It was run by T.J. Robinson until 2007. In 2016, Angel Cakes bakery moved in. 2
I know you guys remember this place …
I feel ya, but my Soul Beat-infused memories have it all in a clump with other homemade commercials for T.J. Swann, Teddy Bear’s BBQ, Aquafresh (seafood restaurant), Beeper City, etc. St. Ides, Rhymin’ Reg, ’cuz it’s rated the bess … becuz it’s cold, and it’s bold, take a tase-tess … oh god someone stop these 80’s voices in my head!
I have vague memories of it. Never ate there, but remember seeing it when it was open, circa 1974-2007. http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_18319677?source=rss
”Though it had only eight tables in its main dining room, T.J.’s Gingerbread House became one of the more popular restaurants in Oakland, serving such clientele as local business people, Oakland City Council members and jazz musician Chuck Mangione, who wrote a song about the Gingerbread House.”
The Gingerbread House often had a good booth at the San Francisco Blues Festival. So good! The jambalaya and red beans and rice were amazing and TJ's corn bread with greens and gumbo were my favorites.
The building looked kind of like an ornate Victorian dollhouse. it had murals and .... gingerbread men on it.
741 - 5th Street, Oakland, California 94607
Links and References
- T.J.'s Gingerbread House, Oakland, CA Flickr (photos used with permission of Kelly C. Manning Photography)
- New life for quirky Gingerbread House building by Annalee Allen Oakland Tribune March 25, 2016
- T.J. Robinson, owner-chef of T.J.’s Gingerbread House, dies at age 76 Oakland Tribune
- TJ Robinson, Owner of Oakland’s Beloved and Bizarre Gingerbread San Francisco Grub Street
- TJ’s Gingerbread House - CLOSED - West Oakland Yelp