St. Augustine's Episcopal Church/Trinity Episcopal Church, Oakland, California (photo courtesy greenkozi)

St. Augustine's Episcopal Church was originally Trinity Church, one of the oldest Episcopal churches in continuous use in the city of Oakland today. It was built on land donated by Rev. Dr. John Bakewell in 1892 and was consecrated on Easter Sunday 1893.

Location

525 - 29th Street, Oakland, California 94609

Telephone

510.832.6462

Dr. Bakewell went on to become the first rector of the church. John Bakewell Memorial Hall, constructed at the rear of the church on 29th Street in 1925 for recreational activities was named in Dr. Bakewell's honor. The Victorian Carpenter Gothic style building was designed by architect William H. Hamilton. Some of the construction was done by John Frank Mason, Sr.

Dr. Bakewell became rector emeritus in June, 1903, when the vestry selected Rev. Clifton Macon of Trinity Episcopal Church of San Francisco to become the new rector. 3

Reverends Edward F. Gee and William Ford Nichols formally established St Augustine's as the center of St John's Parish in 1910 for African American Episcopalians who had no centralized place to worship,

In 1969, St Augustine's served as the host to the Black Panther Party's first Free Breakfast for Children Program, organized by Ruth Beckford2

In 1975 Trinity merged with St Augustine's Episcopal Church which is located on nearby 27th and West Streets. They combined parishes brought the name St Augustine to the church building formerly known as Trinity. More significantly, the merger brought together two congregations that had been worlds apart racially, politically, socially and culturally. This united congregation continues its active ministry in the community today. 1

On December 4, 1979 St. Augustine's/Old Trinity Church was designated Oakland Landmark #29, under Zoning Case #LM 79-401, and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Links and References

  1. St Augustine's Episcopal Church - Oakland, CA Waymarking
  2. Bloom, Joshua and Waldo Martin, Jr. Black Against Empire. University of California Press: 2013

  3. Vestry Chooses Rector San Francisco Call June 14, 1903

  4. Dr. Macon Celebrates Tenth Year in Pulpit San Francisco Call August 25, 1913

Additional Photos

church interior
CC SA-BYOur Oakland
CC SA-BY Our OaklandCC SA-BY Our OaklandCC SA-BY Our OaklandLincrusta details
CC SA-BY Our Oakland
triptych
CC SA-BY Our Oakland