Skyline High School is located 12250 Skyline Blvd . It is a public high school within the Oakland Unified School District.
The 45-acre site was chosen because of its immense natural beauty and serene atmosphere and is located at crest of the Oakland hills. It has a panoramic view of the San Francisco Bay Area. The original name chosen for skyline was Hill Area High School; however, two prominent Oaklanders, George R. Sistek and John Kingston, suggested renaming the school after the stunning boulevard on which the school was built. Construction of the school began in 1959, was completed in 1961.
Greek House Theme
On Dec. 14, 1961, the student body voted to adopt a Greek theme. They first selected a house-type government, in which the students of Skyline were divided into five counseling groups containing sophomores, juniors and seniors. Each group was named after a different Greek house: Delta, Epsilon, Phi, Chi, and Omega. The counselor of each house was also the house adviser.
Maintaining the Greek theme, the student body chose the Titan as the school mascot. In Greek mythology, the Titans were mighty giants. The Greek theme was carried on to the newspaper and the yearbook. As a result, the newspaper was named "The Oracle" and yearbook was entitled "The Olympian". By calling the yearbook the Olympian, the students hoped its reputation would reflect the dedicated and hardworking faculty and student body which were shown in the yearbook pages.
The theme of Skyline was not only based upon the Greeks, but also individual choice. "Back then, there were a wide variety of electives that were available to students. "There was auto shop, sewing class and home economics, just to name a few.
Although many are disheartened to have watch Skyline lose quality programs and activities, there are those who still hold much hope for the school.
THE ATLAS FRESHMAN HOUSE
In 2009, Skyline launched Atlas, an innovative new program for freshman. In the Atlas house system, each ninth grader is placed in a team named after a mythological figure represented by Skyline’s mascot, the Titan. The four teams in the Atlas house:
In this structure, the teams of ninth grade students share the same four teachers for English, Social Studies, Math, and Science, providing a greater opportunity for teachers to communicate with each other regarding their students’ social well-being and academic development. Freshmen also attend a bi-monthly “advisory” period hosted by the Atlas Lead teacher during which they receive lessons in academic and career planning, study skills, interpersonal development and citizenship.
With each teacher serving as an advisor for only 25 students, the Atlas system permits a greater connection to be established between teachers, students, and families. As one teacher succinctly stated, “No one falls through the cracks
Skyline's Athletic Program
Skyline High School has a proud and well-established athletic program with a distinguished history. Skyline provides young men and young women with opportunities to participate in complete offering of team and individual competitive sports. Approximately one-third of our student body is involved in our athletic program. All interested students are encouraged to participate in one or more of our teams. Skyline is currently a member of the Oakland Athletic League (OAL) and the CIF Oakland Section.
Notable Alumni 1
- Tom Hanks - Hollywood actor and a two-time Academy Award-winner Best Actor in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump
- Nnegest Likké - Hollywood writer and director of Phat Girlz starring Mo'Nique, Best Supporting Actress in Precious.
- LaToya London - American Idol semifinalist, season 3
- Goapele Mohlabane - soul/R&B singer and songwriter.
- Marcus Jensen, former Major League Baseball player, Olympic gold medal winner
- Del tha Funky Homosapien - Rapper of the group Hieroglyphics
- Dave Meniketti - Singer & Guitarist for Y&T
- William Kennedy - member of the group Yellowjackets for over nine years
- DJ Toure - member of Hieroglyphics (group) collective, record producer, DJ and Drummer
- Davone Atrayo Bess - former NFL Wide Receiver for the Miami Dolphins
- Will Blackwell - former NFL wide receiver for Pittsburgh Steelers; Head coach of Skyline Football
- Theotis Brown - former NFL Running back St. Louis Cardinals, the Seattle Seahawks, the Kansas City Chiefs
- Yonus Ramon Davis - American football running back/kick returner. CDL player British Columbia Lions
- .Gregory "Greg" Foster - retired NBA player, now an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Buck
- Brian Johnson - former MLB Catcher
- William "Bill" Lester III - former SCCA and IMSA and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Drive
- Gary Payton - former NBA player for the Seattle Super Sonics, Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat
- Leon Joseph "Bip" Roberts - former MLB All-Star Second Baseman; Head coach for Skyline Baseball
- Marvel Smith - former NFL Offensive linesman for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Roy Sommer - former NHL Center for the Edmonton Oiler
- Frank Summers - former NFL Fullback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers and Buffalo Bills
- Gerris V Wilkinson - former NFL linebacker for the New York Giants and the Jacksonville Jaguars
Pages tagged “skyline high school”
Links and References
Skyline High School / Overview Oakland Unified School District
**Needs verification** I have questions
- **Aaron Woolfolk - film director, screenwriter The Harimaya Bridge
- **Erika Ervin known professionally as Amazon Eve - World's Tallest Model, actress Hemlock Grove (TV series) as Shelley Godfrey and Family Tools as the tall customer, and physical trainer
- **C. W. Anderson - wrestler on Extreme Championship Wrestling
- **Ledisi Anibade Young - Soul/R&B and Jazz singer, songwriter and actress, seven-time Grammy Award nominee