1950 Sanborn excerpt

Sherman Elementary School (or Elizabeth Sherman Public School) was at 5328 Brann Street. It was named for long-time educator Elizabeth Sherman. It was constructed in 1928 and initially called Camden School, but renamed for the start of the 1931 school year. Today the location is labeled the Melrose Leadership Academy, Sherman Campus.

When the school opened, students from the former Frick Elementary School (which shared space at the new Frick Jr. High) were split between Sherman and the Krause School, 69th and Church. 1

That building was not earthquake safe, so a new building was designed by Foulkes and Dennis in 1956. 2 It was constructed in 1957.

1956 2

1957 Sanborn excerpt

Links and References

  1. Frick Pupils to Be Transferred Oakland Tribune October 7, 1928
  2. McClymond High Gym Building Plans Pushed Oakland Tribune July 3, 1956