The Sexton/Favre Building (named for Charles Sexton and J. Favre) is located at 1631 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, California. Designed in 1892-93 by architect Howard Burns, the building was remodeled in 1937 by Burpee & Libbey; Unit-Bilt Fixture Company.
This is a two story stuccoed brick Mediterranean style commercial building on an interior lot. The upper facade has an arcade of twisted Corinthian columns and deep set leaded glass windows with fanlights, below a single paneled frieze and tiled pent roof. The high base has been totally remodeled, with a late 20th century plate glass and aluminum storefront and sheet metal paneling over the wide transom level. It is not clear whether the present design is the original 1892-93 facade or an undocumented 1920s remodeling. This small scale brick commercial building is consistent with the speculative development occurring in this part of Downtown Oakland in the 1920s.
This historic building is #30 on the list of District Contributors for the Downtown Oakland Historic District Registration Form.
Links & References
- National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Downtown Oakland Historic District