Stuff happening in September
- 5 - First Thursdays on Grand Avenue, north of Lake Merritt area, 6 - 9 p.m.
- 14 - Beneath the Redwoods & Behind the Scenes: A Tour of Historic Woodminster Amphitheater, Joaquin Miller Park. Contact the Oakland Heritage Alliance for more info and to register.
- 14 - Oakland Urban Paths: West Oakland. See Oakland Urban Paths for more info.
- 15 - Volunteers needed 9 a.m. - 12 Noon to prepare Splash Pad Park ahead of October 20th Anniversary Event
- 15 - ¡Viva Tamales! tamale cook-off - fundraiser for La Clinica de la Raza. Buy tickets.
- 15 - annual Delilah Beasley Tea honoring women with a pioneering spirit - Read more.
- 19 - High-Tech Historic Preservation: Scott Page discusses 3D Laser Scanning for Architecture. Contact the Oakland Heritage Alliance for more info and to register.
- 28 - Community Health Fair and Forum: Providing Care and Information on the Affordable Care Act will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Laney College, 900 Fallon Street, in Oakland. Enjoy a day of free health screenings, resources, and activities, including vision, hearing, and blood pressure screenings as well as massages and giveaways! For more information, please visit www.asmdc.org/bonta.
- 27-29 - Eat Real Festival
- 21, 22, 23 - Eat Real Festival
- 17 - Occupy Wall Street begins, which spurs Occupy Oakland
- 2 - 510 area code goes into effect
- 3 - Robert Maynard buys the Oakland Tribune and becomes the first African American to be head of a major daily newspaper
- 18 - Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum : Grand Opening with a football game
- 9 - Opening of the MacArthur/Broadway Shopping Center
- 27 - Dedication of Oakland Fire Department Station 15
- sometime in September - Establishment of the College Preparatory School
- 17 - Explosion at the Albers Grain Mill
- 8 - Key Route Inn damaged by fire
- 6 - The Baby Hospital, which will become Children's, opens
- 26 - Arrests made related to Dog Fighting
- sometime in September - Dietz Opera House opens
- sometime in September - Oakland News begins publication
- 16 - The Contra Costa begins publication
- 9 - California admitted to the Union