Seminary Point, also sometimes called Foothill & Seminary, is a proposed 1.4 acre retail development at the northeast end of the block bounded by Foothill, Seminary and Bancroft. The center will be anchored by a Walgreens, and will contain approximately 27,000 square feet of leasable area. A groundbreaking for the long-delayed project was held on January 30, 2017.
The parcels comprising the site were acquired by the Oakland Redevelopment Agency, and all of the buildings formerly on the site (including the former O.G. Bubblegum Headquarters) have since been demolished. The property was subsequently transferred to the Oakland Redevelopment Successor Agency (ORSA) following California's elimination of redevelopment agencies, and was then transferred to the City. The developer is Sunfield Development, LLC, and the property will eventually be transferred to Sunfield pursuant to a Disposition and Development Agreement (DDA) between ORSA, the City and Sunfield.
Links and Resources
East Oakland retail center promises change for neighborhood, San Francisco Chronicle, February 2, 2017
- Foothill & Seminary Retail Opportunity Site flyer, City of Oakland
- Foothill-Seminary Assessment Grant, City of Oakland Brownfields Grants page
- Redeveloping Oakland (undated, but sometime between November 2010 and summer 2011)
- Foothill & Seminary project page on Sunfield Development
- Seminary Point Retail Development marketing flyer, Colliers International Seminary Point.pdf