Sagamore is an interesting apartment building at 485 - 40th Street. There is conflicting information about it, and much speculation about its connections to president Teddy Roosevelt, if any.
A 1922 classified refers to 485 - 40th as Healy Apartments.
Origin of Name?
- Sagamore Hill was the name of Teddy Roosevelt's home ("Summer White House"), where he lived from 1885 until his death in 1919
- sagamore is the Algonquin word for chieftain
- the title sagamore was co-opted for use by the Improved Order of the Red Men
- assessor's records say it was built in 1900
- Sanborn maps show the lot was vacant in 1900 and 1912
other sources suggest the building was constructed in 1921
- it may have been moved from another location
Other bits and pieces: Edward Hebern lived there for a time. 1
Links and References
- Inventor Here Asks $50 Million Oakland Tribune September 10, 1947