The Ross House, A. J. Snyder Block #2, was designed by architect Clinton Day in 1879, and is located at 477-487 - 9th Street.
After Andrew Jackson Snyder’s success with The LaSalle, he built another building beside it on Ninth Street in 1880. The upper stories of this new structure housed the Ross House Hotel, while c. 1896, Snyder’s real estate office, a harness shop, a butter company, and a wine and brandy purveyor occupied the street level shops.
Punctuating The Ross House cornice belt are four lions (look way up!), which were designed to be far more ferocious than their docile, ring-nosed cousins across the street on Henry House.
The retail level is currently home to Liege Spirts and Lounge, an upscale lounge in the heart of Old Oakland.
483 - 9th Street, Oakland, California