These events have already occurred. To see upcoming Public Safety Events, click HERE.
Shape the Citywide Public Safety Plan
- Saturday, February 22, 2014: McClymonds High School, 2607 Myrtle, 10:00-12:30 (area 1)
- Saturday, March 15, 2014: Castlemont High School, 8601 MacArthur Blvd.10:00-12:30 (area 5)
- Saturday, April 5, 2014: Fremont High School, 4610 Foothill Blvd. 10:00-12:30 (area 4)
- Saturday, May 10, 2014: Bret Harte Middle School, 3700 Coolidge Ave. 10:00-12:30 (area 3)
Saturday, June 1, 2014 Spanish Speaking Town Hall, 1-3 pm, St. Anthony's, 1535 16th Avenue, (all areas)
- Saturday, June 14, 2014: North Oakland Senior Center, 5714 MLK, Jr. Way, 10:00-12:30 (area 2)
Police Chief Search
Get involved in the search for a new Chief of Police. Look here for details about meeting times.
October-November NCPC Meetings.
The City of Oakland has provided a list of October-early November NCPC meetings here.
Robbery/Burglary Prevention Workshops For Oakland Residents
- Thursday September 26th, 2013, 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Frick Middle School .(2845 64th Avenue) (Area 5)
- October 5th, 2013 (District 2) at 666 Bellevue (Area 2)
- October 10, 2013 1724 Adeline Street - West Oakland Senior Center 6:00pm - 8:00pm (Area 1)
- October 16, 2013 250 10th Street- Lincoln Square Recreation Center 6:00 pm
- November 7, 2013 St Lawrence O’Toole 3725 High Street 6:00 pm (Area 4)
Fire Station Open Houses
- Saturday, August 17, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Fire Station 24, 5900 Shepherd Canyon Road.
- Saturday, July 27, 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Fire Station 23, 7100 Foothill Boulevard.
- Tuesday, August 6, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m., Fire Station 7, 1996 Amito Avenue.
- Saturday, August 31 Fire Station 28 4615 Grass Valley
- Saturday, September 7 Fire Station 6, 7080 Colton Blvd.
- Saturday, September 28 Fire Station 21 13150 Skyline Blvd.
Safe Oakland Speaker Series:
- 2013-02-10 SOS Series
- 2013-04-24 - SOS: Economics of Safety & Police U.C. Berkeley Law Professor Justin McCrary shares findings from his recent study “The Effect of Police on Crime: New Evidence from U.S. Cities, 1960-2010,” including a cost-analysis of policing.
- 2013-05-01 - SOS: Do Laws Matter? Stanford Law Professor and renowned empirical researcher John J. Donohue III discusses the data on how certain laws and policies are succeeding (or failing) to control crime.
- 2013-05-08 - SOS: Oakland’s Violent Social Networks Yale Sociology Professor Andrew Papachristos shares his analysis of Oakland’s street gangs, the nature of interpersonal violence, and its use in Oakland’s Ceasefire strategy.
- 2013-05-22 - SOS: Street Wisdom Oakland Street Outreach Manager & California Peace Prize recipient Kevin Grant; Soldiers Against Violence Everywhere Founder Pastor Zac Carey; and Caught in the Crossfire First Responder Kyndra Simmons share firsthand knowledge of violence from their outreach work on Oakland’s toughest streets.
- 2013-06-19 - SOS: Can Constitutional Policing Make Safer Streets? LAPD Special Assistant for Constitutional Policing Gerald Chaleff explains why constitutional policing matters and how it helped, not hindered, reducing crime in tough cities like LA.
2013-06-26 - SOS: Crime & Punishment: How to Have Less of Both UCLA public policy professor Mark Kleiman discusses how clear rules and credible sanctions could control crime without crowding the prisons.
City-Wide “Town Hall” Short-Term Strategies Meetings:
The City of Oakland is seeking input from city neighborhoods on public safety priorities. This input will be incorporated into two action plans currently being developed for the Oakland Police Department by Strategic Policy Partnership (a consulting team of the nation’s best minds in policing, with proven track records in achieving major reductions in crime): 1) a short-term strategy to have an immediate, high impact on crime trends, and 2) a long-term, citywide strategy to sustain reduced levels of crime. The meetings will be structured to foster active, engaging dialogue between the consulting team, Mayor Jean Quan, City Administrator Deanna J. Santana, City Councilmembers, Police Chief Howard Jordan and members of the OPD Command Staff, and the community.
- 2013-03-06 (Wednesday), 6:00–9:00 p.m., Council Chambers, Oakland City Hall, 1 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
- 2013-03-09 (Saturday), 10:00 AM–1:00 PM, West Oakland Middle School, 991 14th St
- 2013-03-20 (Wednesday), - Castlemont High School.
- 2013-03-23 (Saturday), SPP Town Hall - (Police District 1) Beebe Memorial Cathedral, 3900 Telegraph Ave.
- 2013-04-27 - 10AM -1 PM SPP Town Hall - Cesar Chavez Education Center, 2825 International Blvd (Spanish interpretation available; please contact Silvia San Miguel, at least five days prior to the meeting date, at (510) 238-6448 or email@example.com)
- 2013- 05 -09 Thursday, May 9 at 4:30 - 7:30 p.m. Special Town Hall Meeting for Youth, Laney College Forum, 900 Fallon Street
Saturday, May 3, noon-2:00pm, Cleveland Elementary, 745 Cleveland. Neighborhood Potluck and Safety Meeting
- Wednesday, May 21st, 7:00pm: Community Walk: 54th & Gaskill for residents of the Golden Gate Neighborhood. After the walk there will be a Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) meeting to discuss public safety and neighborhood projects.
Tuesday Apr 1, 2014, 10am - 11am Grand Avenue Business Association - Merchant Watch, 3560 Grand Ave., Ruth Stroup Insurance Agency
Tue Apr 8, 2014, 7pm - 8:30pm 11X Shattuck, Children's Hospital Library, 5900 MLK Jr. Way, enter 59th St. next to Senior Center
- April 10, 3:00-6:00pm Coffee with Command (Area 1), Pretty Lady Cafe. 1733 Peralta St.
Saturday, February 22nd, 10am-noon, Claremont Middle School, Interactive Program: Fighting Crime Through Community Design.
March 5: Uptown/Gold Coast NCPC - Beat 4X, City Hall - Hearing Room 2, 7:00pm - 8:30pm. Get involved with your neighbors and city agencies in creating a safer, cleaner neighborhood.
Tuesday, March 11th: Beat 11X, 7pm, Children's Hospital Library, 5900 MLK
- Wednesday, March 12th: Beat 9x, 7:30pm: 110 41st St
- Thursday, March 13th: Beat 12Y/13X, 7:00pm, Rockridge Library
Wednesday March 26th, Beat 10Y, 7pm, 675 41St.
Thursday, March 27th Beat 13Y, 6:30pm, 5701 Thornhilll
Tuesday, February 11th: Beat 11X, Tue, 7pm, Children's Hospital. Library (next to senior center)
Thursday, February 13th: Beat 12Y/13X, 7pm, Rockridge Library
Thursday, February 13th: Neighborhood Meeting tonight 7 - 9 pm, Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 4700 Lincoln Avenue.
Wed Feb 19, 7p-9p 22X NCPC- Dimond Library Come to the Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council meeting to hear directly from OPD Problem Solving Officer Belote, and meet neighbors working to keep their neighborhoods safe.
- Thursday, February 20th, 7pm: Panel Discussion: Cost of Public Safety in Oakland, Rockridge Library. Hosted by Dan Kalb, Chief Whent will be there.
January 9th: Temescal NCPC Meeting, 7 – 8:30 p.m, Faith Presbyterian Church, 49th and Webster
January 9th: Rockridge NCPC Meeting 7 – 9 p.m. Rockridge Library, 5366 College Avenue
- Wednesday, January 15, 7pm: Allendale Park NCPC Meeting, Allendale Recreation Center, 3711 Suter Street.
- Wednesday, January 15th, 7-8:30pm: Golden Gate NCPC 10X Monthly Meeting, Golden Gate Recreation Center, 1075 62nd Street.
- Wednesday, January 15, 7pm: Temescal NCPC Beat 12x, Faith Presbyterian Church, 49th & Webster.
- Thursday, January 16th, 7-8:30: Melrose High Hopes NCPC Beat 27X Meeting, Horace Mann School, 5222 Ygnacio
Monday, January 27, 7:30: Piedmont Pines (Beat 13Z), 7:30pm, Chabot Space & Science Center.
Thursday, November 7th at 7pm: Beat 13Z, Monclair Presbyterian Church at 5701 Thornhill Dr.
November 21st: Beat 13Y: 6:30pm at 5701 Thornhill
November 21st: Beat 8X: 7pm at 540 23rd St
- October 2, 7-8:30pm: Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council Meeting for Uptown/Gold Coast (Beat 4X), City Hall, Room #2
Urgent Public Safety Meeting: Public Safety Discussion on crime in Rockridge: Wednesday Oct 9, 6:30pm. 6686 Chabot Rd. Chief Sean Whent, Captain Anthony Toribio and Councilman Dan Kalb will be there. More info here.
October 22, 6:00pm, Public Safety Committee at McClymonds High, 2607 Myrtle Street
October 23, 7:00-9:00 Dimond Private Patrol Summit Dimond Library, 3565 Fruitvale Ave
- Area 2 public safety meetingThursday, September 12, 2013 at 6pm Rockridge Library Neighborhood Watch Presentation and Officers receive commendation for great robbery arrest in Area 2.
- Area 2 public safety Meetings, September 17th, 2013: 7pm
- Beat 12X: Temescal Faith Presbyterian Church at 430 49th St.
- Beat 14X/Y: Lakeshore Baptist Church @ 3534 Lakeshore
- Security Camera Meeting Camera Meeting - Tuesday, September 24 - 7pm - Dimond Library
- Beat 13Y community meeting September 26th at 6:30pm, Montclair Presbyterian Church, 5701 Thornhill Dr.
- Wed, Aug 7, 6:15 1998 Mountain Blvd (US Bank) OPD Captain Toribio to attend Montclair Village Association (MVA) Meeting
- Dimond Improvement Association (DIA) Quarterly Public Meeting, Aug 7, 7-9pm Dimond Library
- Wed, Aug 7, 6:15 1998 Mountain Blvd (US Bank) OPD Captain Toribio to attend Montclair Village Association (MVA) Meeting
National Night Out 2013
- Burglary and Robbery Prevention Workshop: On Saturday, July 20, the Neighborhood Services Division will host its first Area-wide Burglary and Robbery Prevention Workshop from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Patton University’s Activity Center at 2433 Coolidge Avenue. This workshop is in the newly formed Police Area 3 (Lakeshore Avenue to Coolidge Avenue, Estuary to Piedmont border) and will include presentations by experts on personal safety and home security as well as resource tables from local vendors. It will also be an opportunity for residents of the area to meet their new Captain and his command staff and learn about the new geographic policing model that is being implemented citywide. As seating is limited, residents are encouraged to register in advance. For more information and to R.S.V.P., please contact Joe DeVries, Neighborhood Services Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 238-3083
Community Crime Forum: On Wednesday, July 24, Councilmember Lynette Gibson-McElhaney will convene a forum at the West Oakland Senior Center to discuss the current spike in crime and the City of Oakland’s crime fighting strategy. The forum will run from 6:30 to 8:30p.m. The center is located at 1624 Adeline Street. For more information, please call Brigitte Cook, Community Liaison for Councilmember Gibson-McElhaney, at (510) 238-7003 or at
- League of Women Voters of Oakland Annual Meeting & Public Safety Talk with Bob Wasserman, : Wednesday, June 5, 5:45pm, Faz Restaurant, 1111 Broadway. Dinner/Meeting followed by a talk by Robert Wasserman, Public Safety Consultant with the City of Oakland. TALK: Ensuring Public Safety in Oakland -- What Community Groups Can Do. $15- Dinner, meeting and program. RSVP required by Friday, May 31. Mail your check to the League office, 1305 Franklin Street, Suite 311, Oakland CA 94612, or call 834-7640.For more info, click here.
- OPD Open House: 2013-05-10 From 4:00 to 7:00 p.m at the Police Administration Building located at 455 7th St, the Oakland Police Department (OPD) will host the community at its 2nd Annual Open House.
North Oakland Emergency Community Meeting: 2013-05-06 In light of recent shootings in District 1, Councilmember Dan Kalb has organized a North Oakland Emergency Community Meeting on Public Safety on May 6th at 7-9pm to be held at the North Oakland Senior Center (5714 Martin Luther King Jr Way). Members of the Oakland Police Department command staff will also attend.
Rob Bonta's Hearing on Gunviolence: May 17, 2013: On May 17th, 2013, Assemblymember Rob Bonta (D-Oakland), Chair of the Select Committee on Gun Violence in the East Bay, is holding a hearing in Oakland to examine the root causes of gun violence and identify effective strategies to reduce it.
2013-04-28 Can Oakland Afford to Be Safe? Non-profit group Make Oakland Better Now! is hosting an educational forum on the state of the city budget and the cost of public safety. The forum will feature speakers from city government and the Oakland Police Department. Join the discussion on Sunday, April 28th from 1:30pm to 3:30pm at St. Paul's Episcopal Church (114 Montecito Ave.)
Special Guest at City Council Public Safety Committee 2013-04-23 What Oakland Can Learn From New York About Reducing Crime? District 4 Councilmember Schaaf has arranged for a presentation by Berkeley Law Professor Franklin Zimring. He'll present in City Hall Chambers (14th at Broadway) at 6pm, or you can watch the meeting on KTOP Cable Station 10 or live stream here.
- 2013-03-04 (Monday), 7:00-8:30pm: Wildfire Assessment District Renewal meeting, Hiller Country Club
- 2013-03-06 (Wednesday): 7:00 PM - Forest Hill Ave. (Dimond) Neighborhood Watch meeting
- 2013-03-06 (Wednesday) 7 PM, St. Lawrence O’Toole Church, 3725 High St. Residential Burglary Workshop shows how to ”target harden” your home. Learn about security systems and hardware that can make your home harder to burgle. This meeting is co-produced by NCPCs 22Y (Bret Harte/Joaquin Miller) and 25X (Laurel/Redwood/Leona Heights). Representatives from Reed Brothers and ADT Security, and ACE Hardware will present.
- 2013-03-09 (Saturday), 2783 E 12th St. - Fruitvale (District 5) Townhall Meeting held by City Council member Noel Gallo.
- 2013-03-13 (Wednesday), 10:00-11:00 AM, Eastmont Sub-station, 2651 73rd Ave. OPD CompStat Meeting (not sure if this was open to the public)
March 2013 First Friday (2013-03-01) Events:
- 2013-03-01 9:00 AM, 1266 14th St. – Lincoln Child Center Mental Health & Gun Violence Conference
- 2013-03-01 4:00-6:00 PM, New Parkway Theater, 474 24th Street – Solutions Salon will discuss creating safe, vibrant, and meaningful environments for youth/teens within the Art Murmur First Friday festival. See event page on facebook for more details.
- 2013-03-01 5:00–9:00 PM, 23rd and Telegraph. Heal the Hood at First Friday. On the EPICENTER block (W. Grand / 23rd) we want to broaden our scope to also address the root causes of all forms of violence in our community: poverty, domestic violence, racism, police terror, the street economy, gun violence, sexual exploitation and abuse to just mention a few. See facebook page for more details.
- 2013-03-01 6:30-9 PM, First Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church, 1970 86th Ave. OCO/PICO CeaseFire Walk walks our neighborhoods to carry this message to people on the streets: We love you and we want you to be alive and free.
Past OCO walks
- 2013-03-08 (Friday), 6:30-9pm - OCO Walk - At Thy Word - 8915 International Blvd
- 2013-03-15 (Friday), 6:30-9pm - OCO Walk - Allen Temple - 8501 International Blvd
2013-03-29 - First Mt. Sinai MBC, 1970 86th Avenue.
2013-04-05 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., At Thy Word, 8915 International Boulevard.
2013-04-12 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
Friday, April 26, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard
Friday, May 3, 6:30 - 9:00 pm - At Thy Word, 8915 International Blvd
Friday, May 10, 6:30 -9:00 pm - First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
Friday, May 17, 6:30 - 9:00 pm - Cosmopolitan Baptist Church, 988 85th Avenue
Friday, May 24, 6:30 - 9:00 pm, - Allen Baptist Church, 8501 International Blvd
Friday May 31, 6:30 - 9:00 pm - At Thy Word, 8915 International Blvd
June 7 - First Mt. Sinai - 1970 86th Avenue
June 14 - 6:30-9:00 Cosmopolitan - 988 85th Avenue
June 21 - 6:30 - 9:00 Allen Temple - 8501 International Blvd
June 28 - 6:30-9:00 At Thy Word - 8915 International Blvd
- June 21 - 6:30 - 9:00 Allen Temple - 8501 International Blvd
- June 28 - 6:30-9:00 At Thy Word - 8915 International Blvd
- July 5 - No walk
- July 12 - 6:30 - 9:00 Cosmopolitan - 988 85th Ave
- July 19 - 6:30 - 9:00 At Thy Word- 8915 International Blvd
- July 26 - 6:30 - 9:00 Allen Temple 8501 International Blvd
- Aug 2- 6:30 - 9:00 First Mt. Sinai 1970 86th Avenue
- Aug 9 6:30 - 9:00 Cosmopolitan Baptist Church, 988 85th Avenue
Aug 16, 6:30 - 9:00 Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard
Aug 23 6:30 - 9:00 At Thy Word, 8915 International Blvd
Aug 30 6:30 - 9:00 First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
Sept 6 6:30-9:00 - Allen Temple, 8501 International Blvd
- Sept 13 6:30-9:00 - First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
- Sept 20 6:30-9:00 - Cosmopolitan, 988 85th Avenue
- Sept 27 6:30-9:00- At Thy Word, 8915 International Blvd
- October 4: Allen Temple, 8501 International Blvd
- October 11: First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
- October 18: Cosmopolitan, 988 85th Avenue
- October 25: At Thy Word, 8915 International Blvd
- November 1: Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Blvd
- November 8: First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
- November 15 - Cosmopolitan - 988 85th Avenue
- November 22 - At Thy Word - 8915 International Blvd
- November 29 - Thanksgiving - NO WALK!
- December 6 - Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard
- Friday, January 10, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
Friday, January 17, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Cosmopolitan Baptist Church, 988 85th Avenue
- Friday, January 24, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., At Thy Word, 8915 International Boulevard.
Friday, January 31, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., St. Louis Bertrand Parish, 1410 100th Avenue
Friday, February 7, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard
Friday, February 14, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
- Friday, February 21, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Cosmopolitan Baptist Church, 988 85th Avenue
Friday, February 28, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., At Thy Word, 8915 International Boulevard
Friday, March 7, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard.
Friday, March 14, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
Friday, March 21, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Cosmopolitan Baptist Church, 988 85th Avenue
- Friday, March 28, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., At Thy Word, 8915 International Boulevard
Friday, April 4, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard.
Friday, April 11, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue
- Friday, April 18, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Cosmopolitan Baptist Church, 988 85th Avenue
Friday, April 25, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., At Thy Word, 8915 International Boulevard
Friday, May 2, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard
- Friday May 23, 6:30 - 9 pm, At Thy Word Church, 8915 International Blvd
- Friday, May 30, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., St. Louis Bertrand, 1410 100th Avenue.
- Friday, June 6, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., Allen Temple Baptist Church, 8501 International Boulevard.
- Friday, June 13, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m., First Mt. Sinai, 1970 86th Avenue.