The Pioneer Planing Mills was established in 1865 by D. G. Barnes, and was located at the Old Stand, 1st Street,near Broadway, Oakland, California. In the beginning four men were employed, but by 1869 when the mills was owned by Blethen & Terry (of Mayor James E Blethen) thirty men were employed full time. Up until 1869 all the mill work for the city was done at the Pioneer Mills, and the company expanded the capacity through extensive renovations.
An advertisement from 1869 read as follows:
To the Builders of Oakland and Vicinity
Encourage Home Institutions
THE PIONEER MILLS
At the Old Stand, FIRST STREET, near Broadway
MESSRS. BLETHEN & TERRY,
Having enlarged and improved their facilities are prepared to
furnish with dispatch, and strictly according to agreement
every description of
Window Frames, Brackets,
Door Frames, Columns,
Front Doors, Moldings,
Panel and Sash Doors, Casings,
Inside Blinds, Lattice,
And every variety of
First Class Mill Work,
Jig and Scroll Sawing, Wood-Turning and Glazing done with
neatness and dispatch.
Tanks and Cisterns of every description built in the best
manner and at the lowest market rates.
The Proprietors being practical mechanics, and superintend-
ing all their Mill Work themselves, warrant everything to be
done in first-class style to the entire satisfaction of customers,
and at less than
SAN FRANCISCO PRICES!
Pioneers in the march of improvement, our motto is:
"Second to None in our line."
BLETHEN & TERRY.
James E. Blethen, V. P. Terry