Phoenix Iron Works was founded in 1901 by William Lewis Russell. As of 2004, it was still in business, although no longer doing its own casting but focused on blacksmithing.
Many of the drains and manhole covers they manufactured can be found around Oakland.
- 1st St. (now Embarcadero West) and Castro St. - 1901 to 1969; forced to move for 2nd bridge crossing that was never built
- West Oakland - 1969 to 1989; forced to move for Cypress Structure replacement
- 5th Avenue Marina - 1989 to present