Pekin Low (or Pekin Low Cafe) was a Chinese restaurant at the corner of Franklin and 7th Streets, opening in 1924. The building still stands, and is probably best remembered as the home of the Legendary Palace restaurant.
The restaurant was owned by a group of wealthy Chinese American capitalists from San Francisco. Fong Don was the manager. 3 The restaurant was open until at least 1936. 4
When General Tsai (or Ts'ai T'ing-k'ai or Cai Tingkai), the "hero of the battle of Shanghai" in 1932 visited Oakland in 1934, a parade was held. Banquets were held in his honor at See Hoy Low and Pekin Low. Louie On was the proprietor. 5 The general also attended services at the Chinese Presbyterian Church of Oakland.
Links and References
- Of Ancient Mandarin Architecture Oakland Tribune December 7, 1924
- Oriental Structure Completed Oakland Tribune December 7, 1924
- full page advertorial Oakland Tribune December 7, 1924
- amateur contest ad Oakland Tribune February 26, 1936
- Gen Tsai, Defender of Shanghai, and Hero of Chinese, Honored by Eastbay Oakland Tribune November 12, 1934
- Cai Tingkai on Wikipedia