The Pantages Theatre (1912–1946) at 416 12th Street (between Broadway & Franklin), was built as a vaudeville theater by Alex Pantages, owner of a theater chain.1 Over its 34-year existence as a theater, the building had multiple owners and “numerous” name changes; it was known as the Lurie (1923), Hippodrome (1926), Premier (1932), Roosevelt (1934), and finally the Downtown (1939).”2
The building is a member of the Downtown Oakland Historic District.
Links and References
- “Pantages Theater Building gets another shot at life” (27 Aug. 2007 Oakland Tribune) - has more on Alex Pantages
- Downtown Theatre in Oakland, CA (Cinematreasures)
- Tribune Press Building today.