The Oriental Block (built 1885 - 1886) is an elaborate Stick Eastlake style building designed by SF architect John Marquis, and located from 718 to 726 Washington Street (originally 860 to 868 Washington.)
Ads appear in 1886 showing spaces in the building for lease, handled by William J. Dingee. 1
On November 9, 1982, the Oriental Block, or Peniel Mission was designated an Oakland Landmark, #LM 82-263.
The CityTeam nonprofit owns the building, and from 2021-2022 they have been working on a major renovation project. Several "ghost signs" have become visible during the renovation work, including one for "Leak's New Driving Gloves" from c.1889-1890. 2