Optimism. The things you like about Oakland and what makes you optimistic for its future.
Optimism and Things I Like
- the great weather
- one of the most diverse cities around
- public art
- the amazing food scene
- bicycling around Oakland is way better than it used to be, and getting better every year thanks to bike lanes and organizers (see below!)
- Lake Merritt
- the list of accolades keeps growing, so other people think Oakland is awesome, too (note: that list of accolades also includes some anti-accolades, so people might feel pessimistic about Oakland, also)
- the mixture of hills, flats, bodies of water, and lots of different kinds of neighborhoods all mixed up make Oakland a wonderful place to explore on bike
- this city knows how to organize! we have so many community groups, an incredible history of activism, lots of volunteerism, and a mixed (though improving) level of civic engagement.
- neighborhoods and micro-neighborhoods. so many different things!
- though we're not there yet, people are working on transparency
- more vegan food than ever!