The Olympic Hotel was a short-lived hotel on 2nd Avenue. It was built in 1928, moved in 1951, and demolished in 1961.
The hotel was constructed in 1928, with 72 rooms and 4 commercial spaces. 6 Apart from a couple of robberies and a run-in with the state liquor license board for selling alcohol to a minor, 7 the hotel didn't appear much in the newspapers.
In 1947 it stood in the way of the approach to the planned Frickstad Viaduct. 8 In 1951, house mover R.B. Montgomery bought it for $1,000, gambling that it could be moved despite what naysayers said. It was successfully moved from East 12th and 2nd Avenue across the street in 1951 and rotated 90 degrees. 1,2
The original plan was to fix it up and re-open as a hotel. Over the years various other plans were put forth: in 1952, it was suggested it be used for municipal courts; 9 in 1959, plans were made to convert it to office space. 5
None of those plans happened, and hotel became increasingly run-down. The city condemned it, and it was demolished in 1961. 2,3
Links and References
- Hotel to Take A Walk if Gamble Works Oakland Tribune September 23, 1951
- Many A Grandiose Scheme Will Fall With Hotel Oakland Tribune June 26, 1961
- Old Olympic Hotel to be Condemned Oakland Tribune October 4, 1961 (p2)
- Oakland Hotel Shifting Site San Francisco Examiner September 23, 1951
- Old Hotel To Become New Offices Oakland Tribune February 4, 1959
- New Hotel Is Completed By Cal. Builders Oakland Tribune December 9, 1928
- Fourth Permit Is Revoked By State Board Oakland Tribune November 10, 1935
- 12th St. Dam Project Speeded By Move to Get Right-of-Way Oakland Tribune September 5, 1947
- County Offered Hotel for Muni Court Oakland Tribune September 27, 1952