old sign
CC SA-BY Our Oakland

The Oaks Motel is a long-time motel at 3250 MacArthur. It opened in 1955.

The Oaks Motel, Inc. included R.C. Hall, president and L.R. Hurst, secretary-treasurer. 1 The motel had been open only a few months when the night clerk was robbed at gunpoint. 2

Until sometime between 2011 and 2014, the motel had a great neon sign, with multiple colors and a tasteful combination of sans-serif and script fonts. Sadly, they replaced it with plastic.

Site History

The location appears mostly empty on early Sanborn maps. In 1948, it was used for private car sales. 3 In 1953, it was a used car lot operated by Albert R. Moschetti. 4

Links and References

  1. Business in the Bay Area Oakland Tribune March 29, 1955
  2. Theater, Motel Held Up Here Oakland Tribune July 9, 1955
  3. classified Oakland Tribune August 13, 1948
  4. notice Oakland Tribune November 10, 1953