The Oakland Ice Arena was an ice skating rink at 625 - 14th Street, from at least 1934 to 1945.
The building was originally constructed as the Twentieth Century Market which opened in 1929.
The owner was Jay Fredkin. 4 In 1941, the arena was run by the Oakland Ice Rink Company, H. C. Swanson (president), Liston Allen (vice-president), and Donald Allen (secretary-treasurer).
In addition to ice skating, it was also used for hockey matches in the Industrial Ice Hockey League (IIHL), which included teams Pacific (Gas and Electric) Club, Montgomery Ward and Golden State. 1
The St. Moritz Ice Skating Club was started in Oakland by a group of women in 1931, so that they could book private ice time at the arena. 3 The Skating Club of San Francisco skated at the arena after a 1933 fire destroyed their home rink. 2
In 1944, the city council approved purchasing the building to use as a city garage. 5 It served as headquarters for the Oakland Police Department and the& Oakland Fire Department for many years. The building was demolished in 1964. 6
Links and References
- Wards Battle State For Lead in Ice League Oakland Tribune December 5, 1934
- Club History scsf.org website
- Club History stmoritzisc.org website
- Notes on Skiing and Skating Oakland Tribune December 18, 1938
- Purchase of Garaged Approved by City Council Oakland Tribune May 5, 1944
- Former Police Headquarters Razed Oakland Tribune February 5, 1964