The Oakland Harbor Light was a lighthouse marking the entrance to the Oakland estuary. It was originally constructed in 1890 and sat on a wooden pier. The wooden pilings deteriorated, so by 1903 concrete pilings were constructed and a larger structure built on them.
Eventually the Western Pacific Railway mole where trains met the ferryboats grew to surround the lighthouse, and the lighthouse keepers no longer needed to row to get to the lighthouse.
The lighthouse was replaced with an automated beacon in 1966. The building was sold for $1 and moved to Embarcadero Cove. In 1984, it opened as Quinn's Lighthouse, a bar and grill. The original location of the lighthouse is now at the tip of Middle Harbor Shoreline Park.
Links and References
- Oakland Harbor Light on Wikipedia
- National Park Service Inventory of Historic Light Stations
- Oakland Harbor Lighthouse on Lighthousefriends.com
- Lighthouses of the San Francisco Bay Area The Sheridan Stories