The Oakland Gas Light Company (sometimes referenced as the Oakland Gas-Light Company, the Oakland Gas and Light Company, and/or the Oakland Gaslight Company; later the Oakland Gas, Light and Heat Company) was founded in 1866. The company's first president was Anthony Chabot.
Broadway was lined with gas lamps installed by the Oakland Gas Light Company in 1867.
In 1874 H. H. Haight was the President, and V. L. Eastland, Superintendent located in offices on 1st Street, between Broadway and Washington Street.
Circa 1884, the company changed its name to the Oakland Gas, Light and Heat Company.
In 1889, John A. Britton became president of the company, and guided its growth and eventual merger into what is now the Pacific Gas & Electric Company, where he served as vice-president and general manager.
William Watrus Crane, Jr., former mayor of Oakland, served as president of the Oakland Gas and Light Company.
Article below [page 64] from Oakland, Athens of the Pacific by George W. Calderwood, Oakland (Calif.). Board of Trade, G. T. Loofbourow, Merchants' Exchange (Oakland, Calif.) 1897, showing a photo of the Oakland Gas, Light and Heat Company building. The 1898 directory lists works at 2nd and Washington, Grove (now MLK) and 2nd, and 1st and Grove.
Links and References
- The History of Gas-Lighting in Alameda County Journal of Electricity, Power and Gas, June 25, 1910
- Gossip About Gas Men Gas Age-Record, December 31, 1921
- John Alexander Britton - A Biographical Sketch Electrical Record, February 1911
- List of mayors of Oakland, California Wikipedia
- William Watrous Crane, Jr. (1830-1883): Oakland Mayor Mountain View People
- The Night the Lights Went On Oakland Magazine
- Alameda County, the Eden of the Pacific Oakland Tribune 1898