The Oakland Free Market was the predecessor to Swan's Market. It was started in 1885 by Jacob Pantoskey at 5th and Broadway, in a leased building. 1 In 1892-1893, it was on Clay between 4th and 5th. 8 In 1906, it moved to the southwest corner of 5th and Washington. 6
In 1912, Pantoskey turned over management of it to his son, David Pantoskey. 1
In 1917, the first part of the building that is now Swan's Market was constructed for the Oakland Free Market, at 10th and Washington.
Other Free Markets
In 1913, J.C. Rohan, William J. Kelly, and Samuel Livingstone opened Oakland's "New" Free Market at 6th and Washington. 5 They had been in business since at least 1907. 2,7
It appears they were in direct competition with the Oakland Free Market.
Links and References
- Starts with $45, Acquires Wealth Oakland Tribune March 2, 1912
- Polk-Husted 1911 Directory
- The Oakland Free Market Oakland Tribune January 25, 1911
- grand opening ad Oakland Tribune July 20, 1917
- Oakland's New Free Market Oakland Tribune February 11, 1913
- grand opening ad Oakland Tribune September 5, 1906
- grand opening ad Oakland Tribune April 4, 1907
- Husted's Directory 1892-1893
- ads Oakland Tribune May 23, 1913