Before the current (fifth) city hall which was completed in 1913, Oakland had four other City Halls throughout its history.
First City Hall (1852-1867): Oakland's first city hall was a rented building on Broadway between 3rd and 4th Streets
Second City Hall (1867-1871): Oakland's second city hall was also a rented building that stood at the corner of 8th Street and Broadway
Third City Hall (1869-1877): This building was the first of Oakland, California's three publicly-owned city halls. This first structure was built on the corner of 14th and Washington Streets in 1869, and used from 1869-1877. The building was destroyed by fire on August 25, 1877.
Fourth City Hall (1879-1913): The fourth city hall, designed by A. L. and Thomas Dean Newsom, was built at the same location as the third. It remained standing next to the current City Hall during the construction of the latter. It was torn down in 1913.
Links and References
- Oakland City Hall Marks 100 Years Oakland Tribune January 3, 2014 by Annalee Allen
- Oakland's City Halls, Past and Present Oakland Tribune February 20, 1934