The Oak Knoll Country Club was a golf and country club built in 1926 on land owned by Arthur King. The clubhouse was designed by architect W. J. McCormack and the 18 hole golf course was designed by Willie Lock. 1,2 The club formally opened on March 24, 1928. 4
The country club went bankrupt during the Great Depression, and sat unused for many years. In December 1941, plans were announced to reopen the country club by a new owner, 5 but days later, Pearl Harbor was attacked. The U.S. Navy purchased the land to build Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in 1942, to deal with the influx of injured sailors from the Pacific front. The clubhouse was made into an Officer's Club.
Links and References
- A tale of two country clubs: Oak Knoll and Sequoyah Oakland Heritage Alliance News Spring, 2015
- Oak Knoll Club To Be Erected Oakland Tribune February 21, 1926
- Ezell-Phebus to Handle Oak Knoll Project Oakland Tribune March 7, 1926
- Social Notes Oakland Tribune March 11, 1928
- Oak Knoll to Reopen With New S.F. Owner Oakland Tribune December 2, 1941