North Stonehurst is a neighborhood in East Oakland below International Blvd between 98th Avenue and the city of San Leandro. South Stonehurst is directly below it on the (literal) other side of the train tracks/San Leandro Street.
The Stonehursts were named after Lysander Stone, who came to the area in 1860. A farmer, he owned 250 acres including a cherry orchard that also covered Elmhurst.
The Southern Pacific Electric Loop system was designed to run in this neighborhood which would get commuters downtown in 12 minutes and to the San Francisco ferry building in 36 minutes.1
- Mailman, Erika. Oakland's Neighborhoods. Oakland: Mailman Press, 2005.