The the National Industrial and Orphans' School of Beulah Heights (also known as the Duvall School) was an orphanage and school "which has as its object the training of colored girls and other unfortunates in the domestic sciences." 1 It was founded by Rev Dr. Charles Harris Duvall and Mrs. Mary H. Duvall May 25, 1910.
It is believed to have been on Orchard Street (now Enos Ave.) near Tompkins Avenue in what was then known as Beulah Heights.
Links and References
- Appeal is Made For Orphanage Oakland Tribune May 21, 1911
- 5 Views published by California Office of Historic Preservation 1988
- 1911 Polk-Husted Directory
- Orphan Ideas of Late Years Are Discussed San Francisco Call October 28, 1911
- Orphans' School Asks For Aid Oakland Tribune December 15, 1911
- Cooking School Opens Soon in New Home Oakland Tribune August 17, 1910
- Beulah Heights School Has 32 Oakland Tribune May 25, 1911