Oakland Wiki Meeting 3/21/13
Attendees: Ivan, Marina, Vicky, Jordan, Dennis, Julio, Mike
Oakland Public Library Digitization
- The library would be down, but they don't have any money! If we propose a project and find a source of funding and human resource, they would be down. We would want to talk to Sharon (outreach librarian) and finance librarian about what we would need. There are many grants available. We should investigate the options (ex: Internet Archive digitization program) and broach the librarians with a project plan. Also, the Friends of the Oakland History Room may be a source of funding.
This Sunday! Noon-6PM, come eat food and talk Oak Wiki. Add items for discussion here.
- On a related note, we created a Future Events ideas page.
Oakland Teen Summer Reading Program
- The OPL summer teen reading program is a "passport" that they get stamps for reading particular books or visiting particular places. How can this tie in to the wiki? We could create a scavenger hunt. Passport stamp for editing the wiki? Something with plaques? Visit all the Oakland Historic Landmarks?
Dennis met the Director of Peralta Hacienda who wants to do an editathon there! YEA!!
- Ideas: focus on Spanish-language work or history of Fruitvale/San Antonio; have a tour and do an editathon afterwards; have access to the "What I Hear, I Keep" visual and audio art installation with family and community storytellers of Oakland.
Oakland Nights Live
- Vicky went to Oakland Nights Live which took place at Sudo. It's a variety show, etc. The next one will be hackerspace themed and they've invited us to do a skit! The next one is April 13th at Sudo! Vicky will go to their planning meeting on Wednesday.
- Print out entries and post them around. Perhaps an occasion for another bikeabout?
Pizza Night Debrief
- How did it go? A lot of pizza-eating, not a lot of editing.
- The way tags currently work in relation to search is
- "Finding Aid" to facilitate finding information. For ex, for everything tagged "Black Panthers," we create a list of related tags (ex: "Black history")
- Who are our users? What do they want out of the wiki? We haven't done any user research.
- Feedback page to collect data?
- We are on track for an Oakland Local column! Do you want to do a column? Please add thoughts here: Oakland Local Column Ideas.
Oakland Wiki Oral History Project
- omg we're going to do this. Please add suggestions for people we should interview at the Oakland Wiki Oral History Project page.