1908 drawing 1

Mauerhan House is a house at 619 Santa Ray Avenue, built c.1908 for John Eugene Mauerhan (1873 - 1935) and his family. Mauerhan ran The Curtain Store at 400-402 - 14th and Franklin, and planned to have the interior decorated with tapestries and hangings from the store. The house was designed by A. W. Smith. 1

Mauerhan purchased the property in 1907 from Wickham Havens, Inc. 3 A building permit was granted in November 22, 1908. 2

J. Eugene died in 1935. His wife, Blanche Mauerhan, lived there until at least 1940.

In 1947, a fire destroyed a 1-story storehouse on the property, full of collectible magazines dating back to 1860. They belonged to P. J. Moran, who was back East buying more magazines. 4

According to a neighborhood resident, the home had fallen into disrepair, and c. December 2010 was badly damaged in a fire. It is now being beautifully restored.

2017 CC SA-BY Our Oakland

Links and References

  1. New House for East Piedmont Oakland Tribune November 1, 1908
  2. Many New Flats Will Be Erected Oakland Tribune November 22, 1908
  3. Official Records of Alameda County Oakland Tribune April 12, 1907
  4. Fire Destroys Rare Magazines Oakland Tribune October 8, 1947