Hoffman's Peanut Candy Co. Building, Webster Street, Oakland, California 1

The Martin M. Hoffman Co. (also known as Hoffman's Peanut Candy Co.) was a maker of peanut candy, and was located at 1318-1324 Webster Street between 1921 and 193_.  It is not clear exactly when the company moved or how long the company lasted, but in 1940, they were located at 321 13th Street. 

The Hoffman's Peanut Candy Co. building was later replaced with a new headquarters for the Oakland Chamber of Commerce at 1320 Webster Street, in a building which is still in use today.  The Chamber of Commerce moved to this location from the Oakland Chamber of Commerce Building.

According to the 1921 Annual Report of the Commissioner of Patents, Martin M. Hoffman (aka "Peanut Andy") of Oakland, California, had a patent for Peanut Candy. 2

On National Candy Day, October 8, 1921, "Peanut Andy" Martin M. Hoffman hosted a Peanut Candy Party on the lawn at 14th and Franklin.  All Oakland is invited to attend this reception in honor of National Candy Day, and every guest will be presented with an individual package of Hoffman's Famous Peanut Candy," Mr. Hoffman was quoted as saying.  An orchestra of Hawaiian musicians entertained the crowds of guests, and "pretty girls" were on hand to assist the host. 4

Additional Links