The Marks Building (named for Martin E. Marks) is located at 380-88 Twelfth Street, Oakland, California. Martin Marks, the owner, was the builder and the architect is unknown on this Beaux Arts derivative store building built in 1912.
This is a one story brick Beaux Arts derivative store building on an interior lot. The enframed window wall facade has three storefront bays (extensively remodeled), with an elaborate stepped and crenellated brick parapet, the central section of which is embellished with a gray cast plaster shield and garland. Smaller plaster garlands decorate the faces of the end piers. A metal cornice with console brackets above a patterned red and beige pressed brick frieze extends across the top of the storefronts.
This unusually embellished small commercial building was owned and built by the same Marks family that owned and operated the St. Mark Hotel next door.
This historic building is #34 on the list of District Contributors for the Downtown Oakland Historic District Registration Form.
Links & References
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Downtown Oakland Historic District