The Main Library is the largest branch of the Oakland Public Library (OPL) branches and one of the largest public library facilities in the Bay Area. In addition to large collections of more than 350,000 reference and circulating non-fiction and fiction books, the Main Library offers hundreds of current and historic magazines and newspapers, a major collection of sheet music, and thousands of maps. The Magazines & Newspapers Room has more than 400 active subscriptions. It is home to a number of special collections (including the Oakland History Room), has a Children's Room and a Teen Zone, the Second Start Adult Literacy program, and houses OPL's administrative offices.
125 - 14th Street, Oakland, California 94612
General Information 510.238.3134
General Reference 510.238.3138
Check out Desk 510.238.3144
Children's Room: 510.238.3615
Teen Zone 510.238.7332
- Monday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Friday: 12:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Resources and Programming
Main Library Children's Room Programs
- Lego Mania: Second Thursday every month, 3:00 - 5 pm. Design, build and explore with thousands of LEGOs at the monthly LEGO club.
Preschool Storytime: Mondays @ 10:30. Sing songs and read books. Ages 3-5 years old.
Toddler Storytime: Saturdays @ 10:30. Sing songs, read books and play. Ages 18 months - 3 years old. Followed by Playtime!
- Baby Bounce: Tuesdays @ 10:15 am. Play, sing, and rhyme one on one with your baby from birth to 18 months. Followed by Playtime!
- MOCHA: Wednesdays, 2:00-4:00 pm. Make oodles of different kinds of art with an artist from the Museum of Children's Art.
- Tutoring in the TeenZone, Wednesdays, 6:30-7:30pm, Teen Zone. For more info: 238-3134
- From the Main Library - blogs from reference librarians on various topics.