Lockwood Gardens is a housing development between 64th Avenue and 66th Avenue, below International (E14th).
Plans for the project date back to at least 1941, and was intended as low-cost housing. 1 Existing residents objected to the plans from the beginning. 2
In more recent times, the area has been known as "6-5 Vill".
Photos from Oakland History Center:
Links and References
- Lockwood Gardens on Wikipedia
- Lockwood Gardens Oakland Housing Authority
- Lockwood Gardens A Bit of History
- New Housing Project Hit By Plans Body Oakland Tribune March 6, 1941 (p2)
- Low-Rent Home Plan Deferred Oakland Tribune April 25, 1941
- Controversial Housing Project Bids Announced Oakland Tribune May 22, 1941
Architectural drawing showing the planned layout... Oakland History Center